Sunday, April 22, 2012

Tally EDM

In Tallahassee Florida the EDM music scene has tripled in popularity in the past year. We have had huge names such as Avicii, Skrillex, Tiesto, Steve Angello, Bassnectar, Steve Aoki, and many more come and perform. Because of this huge rise in the popularity of EDM a group of FSU students has decided to create a school affliated club called "Tally EDM." This group sets up a table every Wednesday in the FSU Student Union where they sell EDM themed T-shirts, tickets to upcoming EDM events, and provide the opportunity for people to talk to someone and find out what EDM is really all about. As I myself am part of this group last Wednesday I decided to join the table for a few hours and ask those who stopped by what EDM meant to them. Some of the responses I recieved inspired me to share them with the world.

FSU student: "The Avicii show at the beginning of this school year was the first EDM event I had ever been too. It was the first time I had ever felt truly comfortable while being out at a club. I have stuggled with self esteem issues as well as social akwardness my whole life. A friend from my home town who came to visit convinced me to go even though I hardly ever went out because I always felt like everyone was judging my appearance and behavior. I had the time of my life. I saw a lot of people doing drugs but thats not even what I remember about the show, what I remember is how for the first time I felt like I was in a room of people who were willing to get to know me not based on what I loudenoked like but who I was."

Another student on drug use at EDM events: "Only people who don't know anything about EDM or have never been to a show before go to do drugs. Sure I've done my fair share of experimenting but I would happily go to a show stone cold sober and be fine with it. I don't need extasy to have a good time and I think a lot of people would be surprised at the number of people who feel the same way as me. I think a lot of people associate EDM with drug use because the people who are on drugs at a show are always the people that make themselves the most visible, always posing for pictures, getting light shows and generally being obnoxious. The people that are there for the music aren't usually going to be the ones in the front row going crazy, they're the ones at the back of the room recording on their iphones. I don't believe EDM is protrayed fairly. People get messed up at rap concerts but no one says oh rap is all about drugs."

When I asked people if they thought EDM had the power to enact social change many answered yes.... FSU student: "EDM has the power to do anything it wants. Anything that has millions of fans has the power to change the world." FSU student: "EDM is already changing the aspectations of behavior when you go out. Now that most of the big nights to go out in town have an EDM theme they are attracting a more diverse crowd....all different types of people are getting together like greeks and funky edm people. Its kinda like now everyone expects you to be nice to everyone when you go out because thats just the way it is with EDM."

FSU student: "It already is. Look at all the EDM themed events we've had this year to raise money for good causes. A few months ago Tally EDM had House Music Builds Homes(a night at Club Rehab where all bar proceeds as well as cover charges went to Habitat for Humanity), and Tally EDM participated in Dance Marathon (participants dance for 24 hours to raise money for children with cancer). People's love of music can be harnessed to accomplish all kinds of things." So EDM does have the power, and it's using it.

No comments:

Post a Comment